Waterford is an unincorporated village in the Catoctin Valley of Loudoun County, Virginia, located along Catoctin Creek. Waterford is 47 miles northwest of Washington, D.C., and 7 miles northwest of Leesburg. The entire village and surrounding countryside is a National Historic Landmark district. In the 1810 United States Census, the population center of the United States was recorded as being just northwest of the village.
After falling into disrepair in the early part of the 20th century, the Waterford Foundation was formed to help save and preserve Waterford and its history. In 1974, the Waterford Foundation helped create an innovative land preservation program in which the historic properties of Waterford are protected through open space and façade easements. More than 60 easements have been granted. The town today is largely residential, although a number of businesses are based in the village. The Loudoun Mutual Insurance Company has been located in Waterford since 1849.
The Waterford Historic District is a National Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was listed as a Virginia Historic Landmark in 1969. Waterford and a significant portion of its surrounding countryside was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970. Significant buildings include the mill (circa 1750), Arch House Row (circa 1750), Camelot School (circa 1800) and the 1882 Presbyterian church.
The Catoctin Creek Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, and the William Virts House was listed in 2011.